Kyle Busch 2018 NASCAR race car No 18

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Project for this week, to keep things ticking over is a more modern NASCAR from 2018 in what will be some amazing colours. The car a Toyota Camry normal wore an M&M's colour scheme, but for the Southern 500 race, held at the Darlington Speedway it wore a 'throwback' Skittles colour scheme from 1998. Here is my base drawing ready for me to start painting.

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

That’s right up my street! Look forward to progress on this one.
I'm with Anth, love to see these car paintings.  I'll be following it with interest.
I'm with Anth, love to see these car paintings.  I'll be following it with interest.
Great start Malcom, After trying to draw cars this weekend, I admire your talent.
A bit of time spent today on making a start on this painting. (Watercolour)

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

Out of curiosity Malcolm, do you sketch your cars and trains or do you transfer the image some other way? The graphics on a race car must be mind bending to sketch accurately (and round wheels of course!)
Hi Anthony, it's just down to lots of practice. My first commission was in 1982 and I have lost count of how many I have done since then. These cars are 'fun' but once the basic car is done the graphics aren't too much of a problem, as I use the lines on the car almost as a grid to get the graphics in the right positions. Wheels are always a challenge. Having looked at your car paintings they are impressive and oils is a medium I have never really got to grips with.
I have to admit that I ‘cheat’ - a lot of Photoshop work then transfer the image with carbon paper. Although there’s been some proper drawing going on with the latest one 😁 Really looking forward to progress on this one.
Hi Anthony. I don't think it is cheating. There are lots of methods used to help people draw and if it works then 'why not'. I must admit I used lots of different things when I was starting out and then as you progress things become easier to achieve without. I like your end results so keep up the good work.

Edited
by Malcolm Davies

Managed some more on the Toyota Camry NASCAR racer.
Update today on the Kyle Busch Nascar race car.
Showing page 1 of 2