“DOBERMAN” - oil study.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I think we use Doberman here….could be wrong.
Marjorie Firth on 31/12/2023 17:50:11
I have updated my post just seconds ago with the Google search dear friend 👍 It seems both names can be used… To me it’s like FISH vs FISHES - both are correct, but latter refers to multiple species in mind, so it’s more precisely describing that we’re talking about not just one kind… 😉👍
“Dobermanns were first bred in the 1880s by Karl Friedrich Louis Dobermann, a tax collector who ran a dog pound in Apolda, in Thuringia in central Germany. With access to dogs of many breeds, he got the idea to create a breed that would be ideal for protecting him. He set out to breed a new type of dog that would exhibit impressive stamina, strength, and intelligence. Five years after Dobermann's death, Otto Goeller, one of the earliest breeders, created the National Doberman Pinscher Club and is considered to have perfected the breed, breeding and refining them in the 1890s.”

Edited
by PogArt Ti

Some more history 😉 # After Dobermann's death in 1894, the Germans named the breed Dobermann-pinscher in his honor, but a half century later dropped the word 'pinscher' on the grounds that this German word for 'terrier' was no longer appropriate. The British did the same a few years later; now the US and Canada are the only countries who continue to use Pinscher and have dropped an "n" from Dobermann's surname. #

Edited
by PogArt Ti

I’m not sure if it’s just me, or details taking its time… Basically all I did today is the bottom side of the muzzle, sorry I don’t know how it’s in English, the flesh next to the teeth (gums)? Unfortunately even though it was time consuming it isn’t done yet, as it’s just first attempt of blocking in to get the idea of the colours and shapes… With the rest of paint I’m carry on covering the foreground dog…
Yes Art , gums is correct!  This is looking really good. I look forward to the next stage. 
Mouth...?   They are coming along beautifully...
Yes Art , gums is correct!  This is looking really good. I look forward to the next stage. 
Tessa Gwynne on 03/01/2024 22:19:22
Thank you Tessa for stepping by 😉 I’m hoping the smaller dog won’t be time consuming as much, thanks to less detailed work 😉👍 Best wishes. Art.
Mouth...?   They are coming along beautifully...
Sylvia Evans on 03/01/2024 22:30:12
You know… I’d call it lips??, bottom lip? if I was talking about human 😉 It’s the flesh edge I’m struggling to name properly, the one that is going along the shape of the jaw at the bottom next to gums 😉👍 Thank you Sylvia ☺️ Best wishes. Art.
“DOBERMAN” oil study. I was improving the left ear today, just adding black tones, improving shadows and the whole look around. # To become a world champion, dogs are judged to FCI standards. The American Kennel Club has its own standards, as do some other countries, although most still adhere to FCI standards. The breed standard describes the Dobermann as a dog of medium size that is also strong and muscularly built. In order to be eligible to meet these standards, the body of the Dobermann should appear to be almost square. #
It’s another pointless update I’m afraid. Hours spent went vanished. I can see improvements only because I know where to look at, for anybody else it’s hardly noticeable- sorry.  The head looks less dark than the bottom part - it’s because the top of this painting is affected by light source set above, and it’s just shining more… [left hand side].

Edited
by PogArt Ti

It’s been a week since last time I was working on it. It’s the work, afternoon shifts… I’m decorating the interior (the bathroom) too, actually improving the wall painting - WELL ! It’s stil PAINTING after all, isn’t it? Hahahahaaaaa  So eventually I’ve moved to the full body figurine today, but easy, I mean by this improving the blacks only… The problem I see is where the shadow on the floor is (the blank area underneath). The reference is very dark, I didn’t figure out how to adjust it (I’ve tried!) but this shadow is blended to the body itself, no edge visible… I’m planning to fix it by soft edge, and blend the body to the background. Will see how it goes later… # The dog was originally intended as a guard dog,[9][10] so males typically have a muscular and intimidating appearance.[9][10] Females are usually thinner, but should not be spindly. The AKC breed standard differs from the FCI standards, with the latter being an often larger and heavier dog. This has led some to argue that Dobermanns and Doberman Pinschers should be considered and evaluated differently. #
Showing page 2 of 2