Derwent Coloursoft Pencils.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I bought a tin of 12 pencils about two years ago and never really tried them. To be honest, I thought, well, it's a coloured pencil. I couldn't have been more wrong. They really take a bit of getting use to and I don't think I really appreciated that the use of them involve a fair amount of blending techniques. I did a quick sketch of Magnolia and added the bird for more colour and interest as I was trying the pencils out for the first time. I thought It might take maybe a couple of hours at most. I soon realised it was going to take 6 to 8 hours to complete.  I've spent just over 4 hours so far. I've had a very busy week and have been trying to get back to it. I hope to get it completed tomorrow. I certainly think they are going to be good for detailed pieces and will continue on with them as a medium. l
This is coming along beautifully Denise.   I like using coloured pencils, chiefly the watersolubles.  Mostly I use Faber Albretcht Durer, but I have a few Derwent Inktense left.  I've never tried Coloursoft.  I'm assuming they are NOT watersoluble, and read somewhere they have a similar feel to pastel.  Which didn't help me, because I don't use pastel.  I've tried 'dry' pencils, and 'dry' solubles on their own, and didn't like the result much...now preferring a mix of both (using the solubles wet). I can see you have produced a subtle effect on the pink blooms, and bright colour on the bird.  The black background provides great contrast, of course. Perhaps you can confirm they aren't watersoluble.  I shall watch with interest.
Lewis, I am glad you mentioned this, It did make me wonder. I didn't think they were watersoluble and in fact, they are wax based.

Edited
by Denise Cat

I've looked them up Denise, they aren't soluble.  It's the derwent inktense that are soluble.  I think all coloured pencils have a element of wax in them, even the solubles.  But what do I know?  I also use Faber Polychromous which aren't soluble.  Most artists seem to use dry pencils and some astonishing work is being done.  
I use both...ordinary coloured pencils ,Derwent, they are quite different from the Inktense more subtle and need layering.  I use them for my Sam pics. The Inktense are in your face and just great for my flower paintings.  
These a beautiful Sylvia and I agree they are great for flower painting.
Thanks Denise all helped along by Derwent....there you go I should be asking them for commission.
I've now posted the finished drawing on the gallery and this is it. I might get a few more colours. The tin I have has 12 pencils but you can get 72. I would have really liked an Ochre.
Lovely work Denise.   Regarding getting more pencils....you have a set of 12 and mentioned sets of 72.  I bought a set of 24 initially (Faber-Castell), as in all sets of art materials there's often colours you seldom use, so now I buy individual pencils rather than sets.  I use Jacksons Art, they sell pencils individually...I see the coloursoft pencils are £2.20 each which works out at the same price per pencil as when you buy a set (you'd think a set would be cheaper, but they aren't.)  Amazon do the same, but I found Jacksons cheaper per pencil.  If you continue with coloured pencils, you may find buying them this way better.  That's how I buy my pencils now.  It might be worth looking at other art suppliers as well.
That sounds good Lewis, I'll be ordering some Japanese watercolours from Jacksons sometime this week so I will get some pencils also.  I would never use 72 but I would like a few more pencils. Maybe another 6 should do it.
Denise, first of all I do loke your effort a lot! Beautifully drawn, lovely colours chosen, the dark background is working perfectly to pop up the drawing... Very nice indeed! Regarding pencils, are they pastel? Or this is different kind, not colour, not pastel but something else instead?
Thanks Pog. Not pastel Pog, they a wax based pencils. I use pastels as you might know and pastels are beautiful for blending. These pencils do blend but more difficult to blend than that of pastel.