Claybord experiment [No.2] DISCONTINUED.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
This is a valuable lesson to all who have read and enjoyed your try-out. Well done. 
Carol Jones on 19/12/2022 19:16:51
I do appreciate your kindness Carol - thank you. Thanks to you I think I did some effort, that wasn't worthless. I know some artists do painting on claybord. Because of them, I was trying myself. It seems - what works for one, may don't work for other ;) I am aware, that my flaws can be down to my fault, lack of skill, or not knowing of how to paint properly on claybord - but whatever has caused I gave it up, I know I am not keen to carry on ;) Let's get back on canvas ;)

Edited
by PogArt MasSter

I've lost the plot a bit in the last couple of weeks, fighting an infection that wouldn't go away; but I think you were using akyds with walnut oil on Ampersand clayboard - and that you primed the clayboard. So far as I remember, I've used gessoboard rather than clayboard - that didn't  need priming; I'm not sure that clayboard does either, but I'll look into that...  Walnut oil with alkyds - I think you'd have been better off with alkyd medium, or modified Linseed Oil.  Walnut oil is perfectly fine stuff - it's not prone to cracking, but it is more slow drying than Linseed, and a lot more slow drying than alkyd medium or just alkyd on its own.  Add that characteristic to a surface without much by way of texture, and you are likely to find yourself swimming on the surface of the board.  (Safflower or Sunflower oil would be even worse, and neither is the best for painting).   I do think the Ampersand boards take some getting used to: I was quite happy with using oil plus a very small amount of Linseed Oil - i.e. hardly any - on the gessoboard: but I had the devil's own job with acrylic on the same surface.  I can quite see why you'd prefer to use a canvas, or canvas board: the fabric surface does give you some confidence that the paint won't just smear all over the place.   I think though that you were setting yourself up for trouble by using Walnut oil, and alkyd, on a smooth surface. Alkyd is a quick-drying form of oil paint: Walnut oil on the other hand is a slow-drying oil - - the use of the one contradicts the advantages of the other.  
Alkyd is a quick-drying form of oil paint: Walnut oil on the other hand is a slow-drying oil - - the use of the one contradicts the advantages of the other.  
Robert Jones, NAPA on 20/12/2022 22:27:11
I hope you're back on your feet Robert, and the infection you've mention is faded away already. Robert - it is my fault not paying attention to my post. I did forgot mention!, - that the Walnut Oil medium is ALKYD based oil... SORRY! It is fully suitable to Alkyd paint, quick drying medium. There's one rule I'm always following - I'm mixing Alkyds paint to Alkyds medium only. This way I am not causing issues, that you kindly have mentioned Robert. So sorry for confusion my post caused... I simply didn't mention it's Alkyd based Walnut oil mixed to Alkyd paint... I couldn't find exact word to express what I'm experiencing while painting on this slick surface, and you've reminded me the proper word - it's smearing. I did manage somehow to finish my self-portrait, and I left it the way it is, just because of that smearing issue I was going through... I'd wish to carry on improving some places further more, but I refused, being afraid of ruin the whole effect instead, if you know I mean. I bet I could success the painting on this surface, if I'd lay heavier paint strokes, I mean thicker. The way I'm painting it's very detailed and smooth, like glazing rather... Therefore every paint stroke I've made was easily disturbed, smeared ;) The issue was driving me nuts ;) I'm off today, I can't wait to mix my first samples of paint and see how it goes!!! Especially - it's going to be my first painting on canvas board since 2018!!! Thank you Robert for keen detailed comments, and attention to my posts ;)

Edited
by PogArt MasSter

Understood.  As I don't think I've ever used alkyds - though keep meaning to - I don't know enough about the mediums to be used with them.  Or rather, which of the mediums available would be best for painting on clayboard - I shall enjoy researching this over Christmas (well, we all have our own ideas about pleasure!  I enjoy research....).  I'll also do a bit of investigating into clayboard - instinct, as much as anything else, suggests that a walnut oil preparation is likely to smear on that very smooth surface; though as it's supposed to be absorbent too, that should minimize it - maybe just use less medium, whatever the medium is?  See how the paint goes on without it?  (Might not go on at all, of course.... I'm trying to extrapolate from what I know about oil paint to alkyds, and suspect the transition is more complicated than I might suppose.)
Showing page 3 of 3