"Call me Jack" graphite drawing.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
A beauty Pog. You have captured a sincerity that is often present in a dogs face. Wonderful work. It is said animals don't have facial expression, I disagree.
Carol  Jones on 22/10/2023 17:11:57
Thank you for keen comment Carol 😊 I agree to what you've said - animals can and do show expressions whether it's their face or the body... It's us that we are unable to notice it - so who's smarter 😉
It's nonsense, isn't it?  Mammals most certainly DO have facial expressions - I kept our own dogs for over thirty years, and live with my landlord's and landlady's dogs now - I differentiate between them, because my landlord's dog is an ancient border terrier; my landlady, a relatively new addition to the scene, brought her five very different dogs with her: one has since passed on (to which a long story attaches, offering no credence at all to the RSPCA).  Their range of expressions may be limited by comparison with ours, but I still remember, though it was MANY years ago, bringing our dog home from the kennels, as a rescue: she was grinning all over her chops. Maybe tortoises are not exactly rich in facial expression - though it's not entirely absent; rats and hamsters too: it's to do with the eyes in those cases - you can soon tell the difference between a rat who isn't over-impressed with you, and one that thinks of you as its dad - you just have to be receptive to them.   The Great Ralph (TM) (All Rights Reserved) thought I was the bee's knees - he had excellent taste - even when I inadvertently trod on him: he expressed himself with admirable vocal force, but when I brokenly apologized, his eyes crinkled understandingly, and he licked my fingers.... Ee, I'm filling up here....   Anyway: anyone who says animals don't have facial expressions is probably too coldly dim to see them in humans, either!
Anyway: anyone who says animals don't have facial expressions is probably too coldly dim to see them in humans, either!
Exactly to the point dear Robert! 👍 If you don't mind me to add up a bit to extend my point of view... When I mentioned we can't read the animals expression (usually body, as the face expression is limited in most cases as you've observed Robert) I meant the whole world of nature that we are blind in most cases... The bees ... they can tell the others the exact direction to get to flowers just by making vibrations of their own body!? I can not imagine me, standing next to my wife and set my whole body to vibrate, to tell here where I've met up her sister in the town (lol 😉). The bees do it - how come? For long time we didn't know that Orcas communicate in their own language that is different to the Orcas from different area, different groups... Maybe such animals cannot express their feelings through their faces as we do, but they do it in their own way, that most probably we didn't discovered yet... I remember Cesar Milan (he's famous dog trainer, mentor I shall say?), who just reading the dog attitudes by observation... I did learn a lot from his TV series... Body language or chemical language is not less important in the animals world. This is how they communicate perfectly, but we cannot see it, until we keen to study it... I've had multiple fishes in the tank - by observation I could known them, which one isbrave,which is shy. which have the dominant character etc... They can not show it by the face mimic though 😉 The subject is broad, so I'll stop it here 😊 Thank you for interesting input Robert, and I wish you happy days with your lovely dogs!
Showing page 3 of 3