1950's scene. A Red Arrow Lines streetcar at the terminus at 'Media', Philadelphia.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Here is my initial drawing for my next watercolour street scene. This time set in the 1950's at the terminus in the 'Media' district of Philadelphia (still the terminus today and the scene hasn't changed an awful lot either). In addition to the streetcar, there is a good selection of 1950's automobiles and a Pepsi Cola truck delivering to the premises on the right. Hahnemuhle Watercolour paper. Drawing dimensions are 36 x 23 cms approx.
Great subject matter once again - looking forward to some colour!
Looks as if this is going to be a superb painting.
This evenings update on the painting.
How on earth do you manage to draw such a complex scene so accurately?!
Hi Russell, A lot of my work is from photographs, which of course helps a lot with the detail. In addition there is research into buildings, vehicles etc to try and get them right. If I can I like to visit a location, either physically or via google maps and see what buildings etc, still exist and use that as reference too. The actual drawing is just down to lots of years practice.
Some more work done on this painting. 
Looking good Malcolm loving the detail.
Loving this Malcolm - the buildings are absolute perfection! Look forward to seeing the vehicles come to life.
Several of the cars, the building on the extreme right and the chap standing on the footpath now done and for me the painting is starting to 'come alive' as the remaining white paper disappears. This particular streetcar/tramcar was called a Brilliner, and was one of 10 built for Philadelphia in 1941. This type of car was a change for the city as it could be operated by the driver only, removing the need for a conductor and therefore saving labour costs. Some of this class of streetcar were still running 30 years later in Philadelphia. At least 2 of these cars have survived into preservation at US based museums.
Progress being made on the painting and it's a run down towards completion now. I am enjoying this one a lot and liking the way it's coming along.