Why do we suffer with watercolour ?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I am adding this comment after reading that some of our members suffer with painting in watercolour. Unlike Oil or Acrylic mediums that we can wipe out when mistakes arise, watercolour is the most challenging medium ! When I see a novice in art I always wonder why on Earth teacher and amateurs want to start with watercolour. I did start painting with Acrylic, then Oil and Pastel. I had learnt all about composition, colour mixing etc.. but above all when I made mistakes and there are a lot as a beginner, I could wipe out and start again. I had read a lot about Watercolour ! how long it could take to master the medium and a few years down the line I decided to give it a go. Well it left me completely puzzled, wondering if I was an artist at all. I just could not handle it ! So I gave up and carried on with Acrylic, oil etc... but somehow being mystified once in a while I would try again with watercolour. I have thrown away dozens of paintings feeling utterly frustrated. Then one day I decided to be more organised. I learnt that the mixing of colours were totally different than with other mediums. Unpredictability was not a frustration but a new approach for expression. I learnt my colours, how they reacted. Found the paper which adapted to my style. Started with simple paintings. After all these years, I am totally in love with the medium and I work with it 95% or the time. So do not despair. Carry on and never forger that each mistake is a lesson learnt.