WATERCOLOUR PAINTS TOXICITY

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Does anyone know if LUKAS TUBE WATERCOLOURS also SCHMINKE watercolours are at all toxic ? I would expect Cadmium & Cobalt to be toxic to an extent but I wonder how the rest compare to say Winsor & Newton ? I wanted to try samples of both but am slightly wary !
Hi Herrflick , nice to meet you again . Apart from the colours you mention which are known to be toxic I doubt if the toxicity of the rest of the colours has been tested by any paint manufacturers.Also if they were to test the toxicity of all the colours and find more (how do they do the test without slaughtering mice ? ) they might lose customers who would be afraid to use them.Theres a thought. Anyway as has been said from time to time by wise old artists " dont put a brush business end in your mouth or use saliva to wet it. Some artists do this and live to a reasonable age span but others dont . However the latter are not usually tested for death by poisoning unless the long suffering wife comes under suspicion........Syd

Edited
by SydEdward

I don't know why you'd settle on those brands particularly - many paints are mildly toxic, the heavy metals particularly, but what does 'toxic' mean? Your detergent is toxic; bleach is toxic; your shampoo is probably mildly toxic; LIVING is toxic - the oil you put in your car, the petrol, the diesel, are all toxic. The way they prepare the leather for your shoes or the rubber for the soles is toxic: you can go mad worrying about what will poison you, but provided you don't bathe in your paints or guzzle them right out of the tube, even oil paint - the most toxic of all artists' media - is safer than any compound with which you choose to clean your bath, oven, or wash your clothes.
Robert...you left out my trainers.
Lew - there are some things best not faced.
Too true, my family have created an exclusion zone around them. All joking aside, you're dead right, Robert...Herrflick should get those paints and start enjoying them.
Gor luv a duck - having written poems in rhyming slang and looked up a couple of Cockney Rhyming slang dictionaries and on line I can find no references to heath and safety other than 'elf 'n safety nor even for the words individually - unless you know better - if you do let me know and I'll build them into my next scribe - sorry me old muckers.