watercolour cards for my new Planty's

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Heyho; to combat the winter blues, I've brought a lot of plants into my little kingdom, and (no more fungus gnats ever again!) this time I'm trying hydroponics. I even repotted two baby plants (Pink Aglaonema & Snowcap Begonia) from soil to hydro; I already feel a bit like a gardener; hehe. Now I thought, it would be wonderful to paint such small watercolor cards as plant portraits, in terms of watering behavior, humidity, light and a lot of love... So I just bought two lamps so that the green ones get their light, and also a humidifier, which is on the far left and can no longer be seen in the picture. My goodness, my lungs still have to get used to the healthy air with over 50% humidity... (it was 35% before I bought the humidifier). The pictures were only taken with lamplight, we don't have good daylight at the moment:) Do you also love your houseplants and have you ever painted them?
A satisfying set of paintings Tanja. I am painting little objects around the house at the moment. Enjoying myself, relaxing and no stress.
Gosh Tanja you are so good all the botanical names .   Happily I have killed my house plants even though I do like them... one of my grand sons bbrought me a couple of small succulents for Christmas I thanked him nicely and wished they were a box of chocolate.  I have avery HUGE garden in all about an acre...so ny stuff is outside looking sad.But the three pics were done on a lovely day to the horticultural arm of Bangor University on the mainland side of the Welsh coast.   They have splendid hot houses so a few of us spent a cold winters day all warm and toasty and these are a few of the sketches I did.

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

@ Marjorie:  that sounds really relaxed; and little things around the house, I find it very exciting. You don't have to look that far to find great subjects. @ Sylvia: oh wow, such great pictures again! Yes, kill houseplants if you don't like them, but kill them if you like them? (lol)....but I understand, when you have such a big garden, you have enough to do :)
How lovely, Tanja and Sylvia. I recently binned two orchids from our kitchen windowsill where they had become covered in white nasty ‘stuff’. They had thrived there for years but no longer. Got cheesed off with trying to remove said white stuff. Thinking of getting a different plant , maybe now one suitable for painting! 😀 As Marjorie knows I’ve been attempting a small daily painting during January. Didn’t post anything yesterday but did start one at our art group which I plan to complete today.  Good to see you back Tanja!
@Tessa thank you 😊oh god, that sounds a lot like “flour dew”; So I've never managed to remove a disease from a plant, if they had something, it was stubborn...that's why I don't do a doctor anymore, if it has something - adios.
Flour dew? I must look that up, thanks.
It would be one of many possibilities... lately I've been on the internet a lot about plant topics, and I often hear that a few drops of neem oil can be helpful as a preventive measure against many pests. Some take it when buying new plants, others every 4 months as a precaution... I haven't tried it yet.
Too late for my orchids now, but I haven’t heard of Neem oil and will look it up. Thank you Tanja.
We sent away for Neem oil for our lemon tree. Not a nice smell, seemed to work.