Varnishing watercolours?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
I use White Knights as well David . Have just copied this description of their ingredients. White Nights are extra fine watercolours, manufactured using the highest grade of the finest pigment particles plus gum arabic and even honey. Three quarters of the paints in this range are made from single pigments and the whole spectrum of colours are strong, easily mixable and lightfast.

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

I've nothing against White Knights (did they not use to be called Yarka?), but all manufacturers use those words, don't they?  "Extra fine watercolours using the highest grade of the finest pigment particles..." etc.  What I'm more impressed by is the last sentence - single pigments and lightfast. Our sadly late friend Thea Cable always insisted on single pigment watercolours - I don't remember if she used  White Knights or not - and her work certainly showed remarkable clarity of colour: something I have trouble with in watercolour, which has never been my main medium (and at the present rate of progress, never will be: it frustrates me, as an acrylic and oil painter, that it's so difficult to lay bright spots onto dried paint, unless one's planned the painting in detail, which I don't, or used masking fluid, which I hate).  But it's such a fascinating medium to use: can't keep away from it even though I don't do my best work in it - think I'm too 'tight', in the constricted sense of that term rather than tipsy, to get the best out of watercolour: must watch some more Alan Owen videos - he still paints every day, pushing 90, and shows on YouTube and Patreon; I see him achieve effects apparently effortlessly; doesn't quite work out when I try them.... And I'm sure he'd never varnish his watercolours!
They all do so Robert a sales pitch.  .Thea did use lovely translucent colour and so does Alan. 

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

Showing page 3 of 3