Using Black to Make Green

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
When it comes to using black or white in watercolour I baulk it's something I have never done before and even though Tutor uses white in mixing some tones I have until now avoided doing so...I have also noticed that when gouache is being washed off a palette that is breaks up rather than dilutes off...my problem is that all the advice I have been given on making Australian greens is to add black...this works but I just can't do it that little 1980's birdy on my shoulder is saying no plus it makes the paint look somewhat dull...I have been playing around with mixtures some almost a success but black seems to work best...I really would appreciate any input from anyone who knows how I can mix a good muted green without black...or whether I am being a bit pedantic about the use of black and white in watercolour...I know there has been a thread on using white and have read it with interest :-S