Two destroyed pictures with masking fluid! Help

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I have something interesting to report: Today I went to the artist supply shop "Boesner" in Zurich. I described my mishap to the shop assistant, they are all quite experienced there. At first he said it couldn't be, that the Winston Newton fluid was suitable for "ALL papers". I vehemently replied that this was not true, considering what I had just described to him. He said he would like to test it. I said with pleasure, do it! We found the exact same Hahnemühle paper, as i've at home. He took a sheet and added the rubber liquid, just as I did with the birch logs. We didn't paint anything, no watercolour, nothing, just a bit of gum liquid. After 25min. the good man started to "rub". Hooray, after exactly 2 seconds he stopped, - he had already torn off the first layer of paper and he knew that from then on nothing could be saved. I told him to keep rubbing now! With joy I saw how he destroyed the whole sheet of paper! I did a dance of joy: You see? Do you believe me now? Yes? And is it suitable for any paper or not? What? I can't hear you very well! Now I finally had a believer on my side...I said I only want to buy Arches paper now, nothing else. Satin and fart-smooth. And a test, please. The test: WOW - without effort - without problems the liquid came off the paper, left no traces. Wonderful. It's called "Grain satiné" and has a violet-magenta cover. Happy End:) 🖌️
I will certainly take a closer look at Hahnemuhle paper (I shall also try to find out how to insert an Umlaut - very frustrating: and so is trying to find a European keyboard: all help gratefully received).   I saw an article a while ago - not in one of our esteemed publications - recommending masking tape as a means of painting a straight  horizon in acrylics and oils; I thought then, this may end in tears.  Tape around paintings to create a border and hold the paper in place while working, yes; on the painting itself - well, I have seen great results with both tape and fluid, but they seem to be well beyond me to accomplish. I think we're both better off without the stuff.    PS - Our posts clashed.  Good result for you, not so good for Hahnemule - and very interesting! You must indeed feel vindicated!

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

I don't know if this is really actually or helps... Yes Robert, i think we're really better live without that stuff! And now i've the very best paper, i'm so happy:)
Re accents on letters, on an ipad just keep your finger pressed down on the letter and slide it slightly up - you can then choose which accent you need on a letter - grüss etc
Aha - can't wait to try it now!
Bringing this thread back up again, a post had to be removed and that made the page revert to a two month old thread.  
Yes Marjorie, I learnt the same on an iPad, so much easier than on a PC
I detest masking fluid too, not least because I have a latex allergy. I only use it for the smallest of details and only if I can’t think of another way of achieving the effect I want.  However, I have just discovered Lifting Preparation from watching a Billy Showell tutorial.  She applies several coats to dry paper, just on the areas she wants to retain as highlights before she begins painting.  I haven’t had much of a chance to try it out yet, but it may be the answer.
Keep us posted, Lynda!  Also - have a watch of (names;  every blessed time I forget names!) ..... twenty seconds later - CHARLES EVANS, on YouTube.  He is wonderfully and robustly dismissive of those who claim you can't rescue watercolours, and shows how to lift out colour with a thirsty brush.  Alan Owen does the same and - thanks to them - so do I. It is a bit more difficult if you use dye-type, staining pigments - Pthalo Blue, Pth. Green, Prussian Blue - but very possible with non-dyeing pigments.  And - saves you having to buy lifting preparation, with any luck. 
Showing page 2 of 2