Saving a botched watercolour

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've learned that when things go wrong, it’s good to sit back and not worry about it; especially where watercolour is concerned. Sometimes mistakes can be corrected, or at least got around, but not often and then the waste bin beckons. All the same, I pause a while before chucking something out. I tend to leave it to one side and not worry. I had a disaster a few weeks ago. I was left with a spoiled sheet of Arches, 140 lbs rough, on which there was a nice sky, but a muddied mess that was supposed to be a ploughed field. I did like the sky though, so I cut away the botch, to leave a wide, narrow sky. The other day, I dragged it out and decided to try my hand at Mixed-Media (something I don't often do.) So I took out my pastels, and ended up with 'Stand and Stare'. The moral of this is simple. Never throw anything out unless you are 100% sure it is beyond redemption. I don't know if ‘Stand and Stare' is a real success, but I like it. If nothing else it will fill a space in my studio. I also discovered that with rough watercolour paper, pastel is a great way of producing sparkle on a flat-wash. So next time your attempt at dry-brush goes wrong, let it dry, and then drag a small piece of light coloured pastel gently across the wash. Those impressionistic, sparkly dots will appear as if by magic. I think I will remember that trick and use it again. I might even plan for it. Happy Painting folks. Regards John :-D