varnishing paintings

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all It's been a while since I was last on the forum. I have just varnished for the first time 5 acrylic paintings on canvas and my first 3 attempts at oil painting using W&N Artisan oil paints on MDF. I spent some time on the internet trying to discover the virtues of using either matt, silk or gloss varnish. I decided on matt varnish - W&N Artists' Matt Varnish, suitable for both oil and acrylic paintings - to avoid annoying reflections. When I first applied the varnish and it was still wet and shiny, it really appeared to have enhanced the paintings but once dry it seems to have ever so slightly taken away some of the brightness and crispness from the original painting. I would be very grateful for any feed back on your experiences and what you consider to be the best type of varnish to use and should I just varnish once (as I have) or apply two coats? Many thanks. :-S