Signed Winter Sciene oil paintings print - Frost & Reed LTD 1967

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help.  I have two signed oil paintings of winter scienes that seem old and have Frost and Reed markings on the back from 1967.  I cannot identify the painter so im unsure what to do to understand if they have value or will be of interest to anyone.  Can anyone here recognisse the artist or can you point me in the right direction.  Thanks in advance.   
Why do so many painters have such ruddy awful signatures?  Other than saying these are a pair, which is a bit obvious, and they have considerable age, and have been restored, for a Mr R Halford - I'm presently stuck.  They do look familiar - in style and treatment - but I can't immediately think where I've seen their like before; well - I sort of can, there are many German and Dutch paintings like this.  The signature - I've enlarged it just about as far as my screen allows, but can't make out one single letter in it! Others may have better luck.  
Wey?  Wells?  
Ah - hang on.  While I'm by no means sure about this, close inspection of the signature suggests it might be that of Harry Foster Newey, born in 1845 I think, he certainly painted a lot of snow scenes.  I have no confidence in this!  I may be reading more into that signature than it can bear; but if it IS a pair of his paintings, they have some value.  Although - they wouldn't be his best, by a long way. I had his dates wrong, born 1858, died 1933 - IF this is the artist.  

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

Thats so helpful, thank you for taking a look.  I will have a look at othes with his name and see if i can match them up.   Thanks
I initially read it as Newey… but I can’t come up with a first name! Yet…
Alan - look for Harry Foster Newey - see if you think the style of the paintings is similar: I think that's the right signature, but I'm not so sure about the quality of the painting.  
I believe that it very well could be Robert… definitely similarities in many aspects of his work/subject matter and composition…even the placement of the figures!

Edited
by Alan Bickley