Looking for the author/source of this painting. Thank you in advance

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Ok i have an update. Someone told me it could be Milo's venus instead of Galatea. Honestly if it was i wouldn't have much interest in finding the original author anymore, because i liked the idea of it being a tragic take on the Pygmalion myth. Anyway, tell me if this version makes more sense.
I had thought that myself - because Galatea had arms, or was supposed to have had.  And yet. I don't know that the Venus de Milo is any likelier an explanation - it wasn't sculpted without arms, to start with.  The question is: why would the sculptor be sitting at the foot of a statue without arms, when the loss of the arms would have happened long after the statue was finished?  I don't think either version makes sense.  
in the original myth, Pygmalion prays desperately for Aphrodite to give life to Galatea. This might be a painting of that scene. I don't know, the more you think about this painting the less it makes sense. 
Showing page 2 of 2