Having issues painting in acrylic help please

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi i have started a portrait in acrylics, but the skin tone I have made too orange, its on paper, I have taken time to get this portrait prepared but I have overpainted, how do I rectify this? I have painted some darker areas like the lines under the eye,its a bit too dark, I dont think I have mastered acrylic paint! 

Edited
by L Sgs

Acrylic paint can be layered quite successfully, so just paint over the orange skin tone with your preferred tone: if you were going for an acrylic wash type of look, you'll probably lose that, but you'll get a more convincing tone if you reach for your white, red, yellow, and apply some stronger strokes, having mixed your basic skin tones on the palette.  The darks can be achieved in various ways, eg Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine, or Burnt Sienna and Viridian/Pthalo Green.  Experiment on odd scraps of paper first - acrylic benefits from fairly vigorous treatment: in time one gets used to its little ways. You can paint just about anything out in acrylic: that's not to say you'd necessarily want to, but it can be done. 
I'm just gonna face myself a very similar challenge to deal with skin tones. I've never been painting with acrylics so I don't know its nature, but if it was me, I'd probably try to work it out the way Robert's advising... Good luck!

Edited
by PogArt AsS'er