Floor Standing Daylight Lamps

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I am finding the short daylight hours frustrating. Today it did not get light enough for me to paint at all. I paint in an outhouse, I have one socket in there and no overhead lights. I find as I'm getting older I need more light than ever.  I have a daylight lamp with a bendy head that I use for still life setups. I would like similar but much bigger and I'd like it more diffused so its not got a super bright reflective bit on wet oil, if that is possible.  Has anyone bought anything like this? I've seen some online. It's not a small purchase so I don't want to get it wrong. I have read some have a blue cast. Does anyone know what temperature lamp I should be looking at. Any help at all would be appreciated. 
I have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BY2DWL4T/ref=sbl_dpx_uk-lighting-floor-lamps_B0CDC7MQKX_0?th=1 which has 5 colour temperatures and adjustable dimming, plus rotatable semi-circular heads which could be reflected off the ceiling and wall to avoid direct light. It has a useful remote control too. I bought it to use at exhibitions because the lighting can be pretty poor and because my stuff tends to change its appearance with colour temperature, but I also use it for painting on dull days. It is reasonably though not excessively bright. I see that they're on offer with free returns at the moment so could be worth a try?
Yes, they could indeed be worth a try - my eyesight has never been good (I'm a High Myope!  Which sounds very grand, but isn't...) and any help we can give ourselves with good lighting, the better.  It's not a small purchase, agreed - I think I'd do a lot of research (actually, I AM doing a lot of research) into lighting possibilities because I'm finding it so hard to see properly (and have a latent cataract in my left eye which isn't as latent as it was) - it may sound obvious, but you really do need to see what you're doing, even though there have been vision-impaired painters.  
Thank you Martin and Robert for such quick replies. Martin that looks great, very affordable too.  Robert: You are spot on about needing to see. I don't know how many times I've continued working into the evening when I should have stopped. The next day I'm looking at my colours and they are way off. 
I have one and find it’s great for the short days of winter here in Orkney ( I use it a lot!!)
Thank you Gillian. Your one is like a big brother to my bendy head one. 
Some lighting to look at on here  thanks.   The Welsh assembly have provided me with a magnifying light for my daffy eyes but if dosnt really work.  
I'm using one of these, which can be attached to a desk or an easel.  The light is daylight temperature with adjustable brightness in 3 steps, with the added magnifier.  I bought one a couple of years ago from the chain 'craft' shop for a lot cheaper than they are retailing it for today.  Daylight magnifier is a useful Google term.
That is very similar to what I have now Norrette, except the one I have has a base instead of a clamp. I'm sure this would be great for you Sylvia if you have normal lighting as well. 
Sounds good