Any feelings to this small Acrylic? Of a Stormy Sea signed & dated 1916??

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Hi everyone, my first time posting here. I too love a good puzzle! Looking at the inscription on the back, to me the second line reads: Ramsgate Harbour Sunset. Checked on google images, and it does look like it depicts Ramsgate Harbour lighthouse. Incidentally, the other earlier painting may possibly also be of Ramsgate Harbour. The painter's vantage point is from the wall on the other side of the harbour mouth, with the ship returning into port.  The first line is more difficult to read. It seems to be:  [   ] France [   ].  If it is 'France', this would be significant, as given the date of the painting, it would link Ramsgate to the Front. I read that during WWI Ramsgate was an important base for armed fishing boats, and hotels were converted into convalescent homes and hospitals for soldiers. It would be great to have a better photograph of the inscription, though it may still not be possible to decipher the lines.   
That's very interesting indeed - Ramsgate was an important port during the First World War, with obvious links to France, and Belgium, important for troop movements and supplies.  Yes, I wish it were possible to enhance that handwriting - the whole board suffered badly when it was re-framed and pencil marks were probably rubbed and lost: that was the time at which a permanent label should have been attached to the back repeating the information - but then; whoever re-framed it did a rather shoddy job.  
Showing page 2 of 2