Vivien Walters

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Last Wednesday I was fortunate to attend a demonstration by Vivien Walters. She uses mostly hard pastel on Velour or Colourfix to paint animals. The results are quite outstanding.  She did the <place>Jersey</place> calf’s head that is also a project in the March issue of Paint – the SAA members’ magazine.  I learnt so much and wrote two pages of notes!   The drawing was done in charcoal on elephant (grey) colourfix.  I think the size was about 50 x 70.  Then the darks were painted in black pastel and the highlight areas in white pastel.  After that, the colours were built up using the hard Conté and Faber-Castell pastels.  Vivien then started a painting of a cockerel but there was not enough time to progress very far.  However, it will be a project in next months Paint.  An excellent tip was to under paint with acrylic to heighten very effectively the pastel colours.  The pink/red cocks comb was made very bright to emphasize the light through it by under painting with white.  You can probably imagine how effective this was against the mid grey support.  Another surprise was painting by rubbing the pastel on a cloth over a finger then rubbing the cloth on the painting.  This was very effective for the white chest feathers.<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Has anyone ever tried under painting with acrylic on pastel paper?  It was certainly new to me and something to be tried.<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Do have a look at Vivien’s website, the paintings are excellent and don’t miss the students’ gallery.<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">http://www.vivienwalters.co.uk/<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">There is always something new to learn…………..<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">