Need help identifying painting and artist!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello everyone, My mom has had this painting for many years. It used to belong to the Nicaraguan dictator Luis Somoza, but when his family was kicked out of power back in 1979, she managed to get this painting from his house.  From what I can make of it, the signature seems to say "Barros 68", but I cannot find any painter by this name. Google lens identifies it as "Barres", so maybe it's a French painter? I hope someone can help me! Cheers! 
There's a French painter named Christine Barres - I wouldn't have said this looks much like her work, but there are some similarities.  There was also an artist named Martin, and originally Michel, Barré - now dead.  There's also a Remi LaBarre. Barros is a more Latin American name than Barre, but the only one I can find is André Martins de Barros, and I'm quite confident this isn't one of his.  Is this the whole painting, or a detail?  
Thank you, Robert! I looked into Christine Barres and don't think it's her.  This is the whole painting, here's another photo with the frame included to get a different perspective.
Really interesting, David, especially its provenance.  I had thought at one point it was dated 8/61.  But then I realised the first and last letters look the same, a B or an S.  I think we could search for artists active in the 60s. Are there any stickers on the back?