Ads, again

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Now they're back in force and worse than ever even on a desktop pc with a large screen - they're just getting in the way, and annoying me so much that I'm not about to buy anything featured in them, which may be childish (and is!) but I don't come here to have to fight my way through advertisement side-bars that you can't minimize or shut down. I tried turning on Ad-block, but the site won't load at all then.  If that's been a deliberate technical decision, it was counter-productive. 
Just to confuse matters, I have Adblock on all the time, and have no problem loading the site. And no ads. Desktop pc and Google Chrome. What's causing the difference? Whatever it is long may it last! I don't buy products where the ads have annoyed me either, don't look on it as childish, just voting with my wallet!
I use a pc and no matter what I do adblock doesn't work.  I can live with the side bar ads as they are not in the way BUT a large ad now appears across the screen when I open the site up and I have to delete it before I can proceed, so annoying.  I know POL have to make their money this way but please can they be less in your face, really offputting!
I was in a rotten mood yesterday, and combined with the site playing up - technical expression there - plus Adblock which was supposed to be disabled coming and going, I think the site was more oppressively ad-choked than it seems to be today.  Sometimes just shutting down your 'puter and reading a book or going to bed (or both!) sorts out all kinds of problems.  I can live with the ads now - they aren't crowding the page any more - WHY they did, wiser heads than mine may seek to answer.  
If you think this is bad you should try RMWeb, a model railway site also run by Warner's. It's an absolute nightmare.  I'm sure it's counter productive, people will just stop using the sites. I wouldn't mind so much if they were advertising art materials but one was trying to flog me a lawn mower! In November!!
Another no-ad data point: I'm running Firefox on a Mac and not an advert in sight.
Now when I go to log in, an ad pops up before I can get to the site - all right, there are far larger inconveniences in life and this is a small one, but it does have quite the gift for creating irritation.   It was the Folio Society yesterday - a fine organization with which I have previously dealt, but I've already got their ads on my home page.... and I'm not going back to them as a result of seeing an ad that just gets in my way. Ads ON the page are one thing; ads before you even get to the page - well, it just niggles.  Of course, it may be Google Chrome rather than POL - I would switch to both Firefox and a Mac, but the one would lead to all sorts of complications with passwords, and the other to expense.  I'm not fond of either. 
This is what I've been experiencing for some time, a large ad dominating about 80% of the screen which I have to click on to remove before I can go further.
You could run Firefox just for POL (and other annoying sites).  It would take a few minutes to download and try out to see if it fixes the POL issue. I read that it works on Win 10 and beyond, so no need for a Mac. Anyway, its good to have choices, especially open-source ones like Firefox that are not tied to a business model based on scooping up all your data...