What items do you use in your watercolours?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I confess I add little acrylic now and again , but was wondering of things like a white paint pencil. or the corner of a watercolour paint block (the new type ) stipple snow with a special brush ,scratch out .or use an ear bud and bleach,and what about other artists paints like Jacksons . SAA .ect. have you any little secrets you use.?
I always have a tube of white gouache about my person and often use the corner of any Kleenex tissue I happen to have in my pocket , I do try and use a bit that has not been blown into....... !. I used to use a scalpel for scratching out but it is a bit obvious and usually looks exactly what it is....scratched out. I also use dilute bleach but usually with inks , a bit harsh for W/ C in my opinion .
Very rarely a little white acrylic ink but that's about all other my trusty rag which, apart from wiping brushes, I also use as a painting instrument - like dabbing wet washes to knock them back a bit if they are too strong and pushing washes around on the paper.
I have tried to get the foam on top of waves with gauche on my finger with no luck ,with rough acrylic brush I have got a bit of snow lying on footpaths ok or on trees along an hedge row. you can get some very nice effects with a bit of umber stippled over a winter forground with a rough half inch brush .. I better not mention special brushes pushed by known artists ... but they are very effective
another brush I use is a cheap chissel edged half inch flat ,and a quarter inch for cottages in landscapes ,,,,,, good for wetting and drying out with blotting paper ,,,,,,,,,cottages in a distance ..