Simple Print Making

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I only produce monotypes which I love because of their simplicity and 'honesty' so paper isn't much of an issue. I use paper I already have in store - hot pressed for example of good weight - although I have bought some good quality writing paper which has a great hammered surface which works very well for the smaller works. As for soaking it's not something I have considered but I only work with acrylics and more recently oil bars so soaking isn't an issue for me. Would it work using these mediums? - might try it just to see the effects.
Yesterday I set myself up to have a further play with this printing....started around 10 in the morning...when I next looked at the clock it was gone half past three in the afternoon, oh dear me, had no lunch that day but didn't even notice! I now have a pile of all-sorts; will have to set up a Playtime Gallery and pick some of the more "successful" outcomes to post. However, I did discover an awful lot of things en route; such as which media and techniques produced the most interesting results, and so on. I could get used to this as another creative outlet, it's very addictive.
It is so addictive Oily. Some of the instruments I use for mark making include a toy aeroplane ( the front and back wheels are not parallel so I can get some great marks as I push it around over the paper), plastic fork., old credit cards with notches along the edge, a cylinder of wood with string wrapped it which I can roll around it, a large wheel from a toy tractor on a spindle which makes amazing tracks, a selection of cut-outs which I can use for circles, squares etc, lollipop sticks, palette knives with different widths, a small circular brush with stiff bristles, coarse wire wool which I can press down on, - can't think of any more off the top of my head but I know there are others. Has anyone any other ideas?

Edited
by MichaelEdwards

LOL love the toy aeroplane idea! I've just tried some patterned paper towel, resting it lightly on the paint before pulling it away, it leaves some nice circles (though it does absorb some paint/ink). Also tried squirting the paint surface with water from a little aerosol bottle; if you're lucky you get some nice little holes forming in the paint. There's also bubble-wrap to try (I haven't done that one yet). I've just put up a couple of my doodlings in my Playtime Prints gallery....don't know how to link to them, but they're in the main gallery somewhere. And, on this subject....what opinions are there on Gelli-Plates? They seem to be all the rage now amongst crafters and monoprinters.
Yes I discovered the towel idea by accident when working on acrylic ink - also use water spray with acrylic ink. Never tried Gelli Plates - thanks for the idea and will look into it.
Just had a scout around YouTube and found several on Gelli Plates. Another way to produce abstract print work but veering too far towards craftwork with little artistic input but interesting though and it did give me a few ideas.
Showing page 2 of 2