Natural found leaves - banana fibers as a material in making collage and mixed media paintings.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Am a collage artist here in Uganda East Africa and I use natural found leaves or materials to make collage paintings. https://www.basasiraart.com/gallery I would like to give a chance to my other collage and mixed media paintings artists an opportunity to also try to use/experiment banana fibers as a collage material in making artworks.
David, you can use so many natural ingredients to make collages and paintings - I don't suppose many of us here have experience of banana leaves in artworks, but many incorporate leaves, twigs, and various other natural materials in their work, the only problem being their longevity - of course, if longevity doesn't really matter to you, you can use so many things in creating artworks - or you can make prints with leaves, dipping them in ink or paint.  If you would like to show your work in the Gallery, I'm sure it would get more and better attention than showing it here - so, do that, and good luck. 
A wonderful way to create art, David. I know there are many beautiful, printed materials created in your country using natural dyes. Have you tried 'hapa zome' leaf dye. Its an ancient Japanese method of beating colour into material. Look forward to viewing your work in the gallery.

Edited
by Carol Jones

I've actually experimented with it before, and it can add a unique texture and organic feel to your artworks. I recommend drying and pressing the banana fibers before using them in your collages. They can be easily adhered to your substrate with a good adhesive like gel medium. Encourage your fellow artists to give it a try and see the wonderful results it can bring to their mixed media creations. Good luck and keep up the great work!