Digital 'Painting'

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I'm pleased 'the Artist' - in the May issue - has come round to recognising the creative potential of using computers. However the current crop of articles really miss the point. I can never understand why painters are content to use a photograph as their primary reference. I have to admit that since acquiring a digital camera I do take photographs as reference - but I'm a compulsive sketcher and the primary stimulus for me is what I've experienced from observation not what the camera has given me. Cropping and tweaking a digital photograph is not for me. Rather than just tweak images in Photoshop programs like Painter offer more creative opportunities. When I'm using it I try to forget that I'm using an 'oil' or a 'pastel' 'Brush' - they are just names that the program uses but consider the effect of the on screen marks just as I would if i was putting them down on paper. Again the starting point doesn't have to be a photograph - it can be an actual drawing. The link if it works - if it doesn't copy and paste it into your browser - will open a 'painting' worked in Painter IX using a plein air charcoal sketch as a starting point. http://robertkirk.co.uk/digitalPics/herm/herm.html I have reservations about printing and framing example like these but they are an excellent way of making studies for paintings in traditional media without using paper and paint.