Coastal Art - Fish

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Oops - sorry but this thread seems to have posted twice - My clumsy fingers again I guess. . . Ihave just posted another of my fish sculptures and have been asked how they are produced. As the explanation is too long to explain in the comments under the posting I thought I would give a brief summary here for those who are interested. The piece is posted at : http://www.painters-online.co.uk/Gallery/Michael-Edwards-Coastal-Art---Latest-Piece/_ga86952_pg1 Actually I wish I had taken the photo at a different angle to show off the mouth more as this is a main feature. Also photos do not seem to do full justice to the finished works. Well firstly I look for pieces of wood which suggest something to me - it may be the shape, the positioning of a knot (useful to depict an eye) or a rough broken end which suggests a tail. I then invariably have to cut chisel and even hack away until I get the shape I want. Sometimes the tail is already present other times I add a piece for the tail. I do like a piece of wood which has a rough surface which I try to retain where I can. I rough up the surface wherever I feel it needs it by, among other things, using a wire brush, hammering bits of chain, old nails, and anything else I can lay my hands on, into the surface of the wood either in the vice or with a hammer. Recently a piece was too smooth so I gave it to my son’s cockerpoo (Cocker/poodle cross ) who put teeth marks in it which gave a great texture to the finished fish. Now to weather the wood, when it is shaped and I am happy with it, I spray it with black and silver paint which I then sand off leaving the paint in the ridges and dints. I then use wood dye to stain the surface areas where the sandpaper has eaten into raw wood but only if I feel it needs it. The final paint is acrylic which I apply with a rag - the reds greens etc. When finished I have been using matt varnish but I have found that by using a lot of brushwork to get the varnish into the corners the result is more of a gloss finish . I am now using good old bees wax which I prefer and is easier to apply. The eyes are either natural knots, coloured rawlplugs or bits of dowel – it all depends on which mood I am in. I chose a base and finish the whole thing off with some felt on the underside. By the way I find the wood all over the place but currently a local building site is my biggest provider – if I were nearer the coast I guess driftwood would do the job just as well.