Brusho

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I was talking to a local gallery owner, a distinguished artist in her own right, and discussing my abstract work when she suggested I might get on well with Brusho. Well I've never tried it and I wonder if anyone else has experience of it.
Michael.....no no no. It's great for fun and sketch book work , but it's not lightfast . I have just replaced a pic in a different medium that had literally faded away. . I love it for things like quick sketches , for card making ....in fact anything you are not selling but be aware be very aware . A friend of mine Fieryfelts she makes all her own dyes from plants she grows she assures me they are lightfast lovely soft natural colours that would work well with your kind of painting. Google her Helen Melvin Fieryfelts. Otherwise buy alcohol based inks I think Alan B has good info on inks.
Obviously Sylvia has experience of this medium Michael, so I would definitely heed her advice. The only thing I know about it is that it looks good in an uncontrolled way and a very little of it goes a very long way, so you have to be careful.
Thanks for the advice - lightfast was my concern and you have confirmed it for me so - no I won't bother.
It's disappointing to read they aren't lightfast. I was curious about trying them too as I've seen pictures done with Brusho and love the intensity of the colours. Kay
What a fantastic idea David. I've suddenly got £ signs in my eyes!
From this to this in three short years..
Didn't realise Brusho has been out that long Sylvia. What a terrific shame that is. Well we live and learn.
You surprise me Sylvia as I thought it had only been out a year or two. No, I think it best you don't enquire.
I've never had an acrylic fade - unless it's very thinly painted, it shouldn't; and even then it shouldn't. But it always makes sense not to hang pictures in full light, and a shop window would be just about the worst place. Oil paintings can fade in certain circumstances, most obviously if you use fugitive pigments - Rose Madder Genuine, Alizarin Crimson, especially if employed as glazes, which they often are, or reduced with white. There's also some doubt about Prussian Blue, which was known as a fluctuating colour - I don't use it much so haven't a lot of experience of it. There are others too .... Aureolin, Gamboge for instance. But on the whole, oil paint these days doesn't fade much: now define "much". Use pigment-rich colours wherever you can, to avoid fading as much as possible. Gouache used to fade to absolutely nothing - more of it is lightfast now, but it's always important to check. Bubble-jet (ie, water-based) ink fades .... we're probably all fading a bit ourselves. The only answer for paintings is to choose the most lightfast medium and colours, and not to expose them to direct sunlight. I don't know what the solution is to stop us fading, but not getting old helps. There you are: really practical advice there: unfortunately, I can only think of one way of not getting old, and that has disadvantages of its own. http://www.isleofwightlandscapes.net http://www.wightpaint.blogspot.co.uk
Such a shame Sylvia - the colours were beautiful. I always advise people not to hang paintings in sunlight. There are quite a few around here that are just tones of blue now.
It's funny Syd but when I read about certain art materials, be it paper or paints, they are sometimes described as lasting for, say 100 years etc., and I think that it doesn't really matter because I won't be around to bother. Perhaps we should worry so our art can live on. However, I am not that precious to think my art will be that sought after.