Why is this happening?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I think the white splodge in the sky of the first one should have been outlined as well. 
Getting more and more interesting - it wasn't easy to see which areas you meant, even when I saved the images in order to enlarge them.  I did assume the blue trees might have been victims, though looking more closely I can see that there are touches in them showing they're intended to look as they do.   It looks as if the areas which have flaked away/delaminated were sitting not on ordinary paint, but on the white priming of the canvas or board - is that right?  If so, it suggests a problem with the priming itself - e.g. that the paint just didn't bond with it.  WHY it didn't is then the question.  Too lightly-applied, underbound paint?  But an experienced artist, as this one clearly is, would have been aware of that. Anyway, this is speculation until we know if the problem is a reaction between the paint and the priming, the "gesso".  You may be sick of discussing this by now, but if you feel like responding, tell us if that's what has happened - because I was previously assuming there had been a problem with the paint applied to the canvas, rather than with the canvas (board, whatever it is: it would be helpful to know that too) itself.  And of course, it could be both.  
Thank-you Robert for your further input, which will enable me to ask the right questions when I get someone to look at these paintings. With the WF Moore painting I think you could well have hit the nail on the head, given the rather dry feel. I am more at sea about why it happened to the other painting, as well as just tiny little bits happening on a third, a different artist again. I wonder if at one time there was an issue with either the "gesso" or the paint used for underpainting.  I'll certainly update you once I get the paintings looked at, but I'm afraid that is very likely to be next year, and possibly late January at the earliest, knowing our prolonged shut-down over the holidays. My upcoming trip away will prevent me from pursuing this before Christmas. 
Slow is fine!  The older I get, slow is my usual standard anyway.  It would be interesting to know what was used as the "gesso", in both cases, if it's possible to know. 
I might be able to find out Robert if I can track down the living artist. Unfortunately at present other things have taken over my attention. But I haven't forgotten to let you know when I know anything myself.
Showing page 2 of 2