Varnish

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I like to varnish my acrylic paintings...a bit like glazing a watercolour it brings out the colour and the depth...o don't glaze my acrylic pics.  It also help to keep a painting clean.    Plus I use gloss....yay...shiny and brash .  But it works for me.   Hair spray a complete no no.   I've seen it used on charcoal gratings in a life group but useless on a painting. Winsor and Newton Galleria,also in mat  and satin.
Sylvia Evans on 13/12/2023 09:57:06
Thank you Sylvia for reply. Did you notice the original question was posted 9 years ago???! I have realised it after posting my comment, and couldn’t have remove my post after went live… lol. I’m glad I couldn’t remove it, because I can benefit reading all those pointed bunch of advice from all of You 😊😊😊 Thank you Sylvia.
No I wouldn't  varnish anything on paper I'd shove that under glass , but canvas or board yes I do and two coats Robert in case I miss a bit....think I could do with a coat as well.
Sylvia Evans on 13/12/2023 12:57:11
I’m same, I prefer two or even three thin softly applied coats, rather than one heavier… I bet this is general recommendation of how to varnish… Art.
Showing page 2 of 2