toxic fumes from impasto medium.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi, I recently bought Lukas painting butter but i'm really struggling with the fumes, i'v even tried using a dust/fume mask which is very annoying when trying to paint. Anyway, I wondered if anyone has tried both the Lukas butter and the W&N impasto so I can find out if the latter has less toxic fumes, i'v tried working in a ventilated room but it doesn't help and I won't use a fan because it blows dust onto my paintings, I don't want to pay out for another tube if the same chemicals are going to be a problem..... Thanks.
I´ve found these comments about painting butter on the web. They talk of cracks appearing in the paint quite soon as it is a fast drying medium. They also talk of it containing turps which would explain the smell and the faster drying times.
Hi, thank you for your reply, I suppose some people add more painting butter than they should to speed up drying time and then complain when their painting shows cracks, I don't know, but I know it's lovely to work with apart from the fumes, today I wore a mask and used a fan while painting, not something I care to repeat too often!