Thank the Lord for that....

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I wouldn't normally post this sort of thing, but, praise be, I have actually started a small oil painting: I was beginning to think I'd never paint again - this is my first (or will be my first) this year.  I've made a lot of drawings, all intended to be the base for paintings, but something has just stopped me getting the brushes out: but now I have.  So far, it's a mix of Flake White, Indian Red, and Cerulean Blue - not the most obvious range to start a painting with, but who cares?  I HAVE at least made a start!
I'm so pleased for you Robert. It's soul destroying when you can't start. Non artists just don't understand. I don't know if I'm not painting because I'm depressed or the not painting is making me depressed. I reject every idea that I give myself. 
With me, it's fits of depression - they come and go, but this has been a long one; and as you suggest, these things tend to reinforce themselves - can't paint, depressed; depressed more because you can't paint... and on it goes.  At some point, one's just got to give oneself a kick and get on with it: but this is a lot harder than some people seem to think.  I hope you will find an idea that appeals, and run with it. 
Like you, I’ve had times when I can’t paint. Something strange is happening at the moment though - I can’t STOP painting. It’s a great feeling but I wonder if it’s desperation - not much time left! No, not really, but everything else is going by the board. A few years ago I managed to keep many plates spinning, not now. I’m painting for pure pleasure, not to sell, not to exhibit ( except here and to my friends ), but just because I’m enjoying it. Collette, just get those brushes out and work yourself back into it, that’s what I have to do. A small painting? 6”x6” ? Restrict to 3 colours? A part of something? It’s true that you lose a bit of yourself if you can’t paint, if it’s more than a hobby that is. One more thing…..I do think it’s also a discipline, but one which needs inspiration….so just get that brush or pen in your hand and complete something. Don’t overthink and see what follows.  And good luck with the Muse Robert!
Good advice, and just what I've done - my board is 8" x 8", and so far I've only used three colours - well, two, plus white.  And I think it's going to be quite good;* certainly, I feel vastly better for having started it: and it always helps when things go well.  I don't rush paintings - not quite true: I sometimes do, and it sometimes shows - will be taking my time on this one: there are those who like to get in and on with it, and those who like the paint to get a bit tacky overnight: I'm one of the latter.   *I haven't half left a hostage to fortune there.... 
A hostage to us, Robert. :) And while you are watching the paint go tacky, think about the next one! I'm sure they will both be good.