Smaller size, more brushes?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Switching between quite large boards, and quite small ones - e.g. down to 8" by 8" - why is it that I have to use more brushes (though fewer colours) for the smaller one?   Well, I don't know, so why should anyone else; but it always seems to be the case.  Plus - ten colours plus two whites for the big 'un, 8 plus two whites for the smaller.  Just twice as many brushes for the smaller one - think the reason is that I can use big brushes for a bigger board, but unless you go for slab-like markings on a smaller picture, you need more small brushes. But there we are.  All part of life's rich tapestry.  It's just that I notice that this ALWAYS seems to be the case - and I also make more mixes on the palette for a small painting - though, I just used one blue for the smaller, and one yellow..... well, sorry to have wasted everyone's time with this, but it did strike me as being worthy of note!