Rolf Harris and the Queen

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Wandering in my mind a bit, as perhaps many of us are, visiting YouTube, reading things, drawing things, thinking about things too - I came across the Rolf Harris portrait of HM the Queen - that is, the programme in which he painted her for her 80th birthday portrait.   For all the snide comments one could make - she was a lot more patient with his chat than I would have been, although it's fair to remember he was making a TV programme and could hardly subject his viewers to a comment-free experience - he didn't make a bad stab at it at all.  Spent more time on the dress than I think he should have done, as a means of putting off the evil day when he had to finish the painting of the mouth: always, I think, the trickiest thing for a portrait painter to get right; but one understood why, and along the way he encounters problems with which any oil painter has to contend.   Technically, the film is interesting.  So far as Harris's personality is concerned - OK, we're all conditioned now to concentrate on his various sins and malfeasances, but are they artistically of any relevance at all?  We know that Caravaggio was, probably, a murderer; quite possibly a rapist as well; certainly one who troubled young boys; that Michelangelo took his father's advice to "never wash", and probably stank like a goat; that Picasso was a philandering old devil; that Francis Bacon had some distinctly strange habits; that Pollock was soaked in booze and drugs for much of his life.  That Dalí was either a fascist or as near to one as makes little difference.  List your artists' wicked habits here.   And of course, I also know that Harris's particular crimes were extremely repugnant, and that he's in denial of them.  And yet - what has that to do with his art?  His portrait of the Queen was not the summit of his achievement: it was completed under adverse conditions, at too great a speed, on the basis of too few sittings.  And yet I look at his other paintings, not least at some displayed a good many years ago in The Artist magazine - and this is a real artist; a painter in oils whose methods are not mine, but were sound in their way.   A damn' sight better a painter than the saintly Bob Ross, to take a slightly crass comparison. I don't know how his paintings fare in the market place these days; not well, I suspect.  But if they don't, that's a feature of a corrupted market, not a comment on Harris's ability.   Anyway, there's a controversial mid-lockdown Easter post for you!  Comments?  
This is the painting you mean Robert ?.  I rather like the almost informality  of it.  Mouths and teeth are never easy , I saw the original in a Rolf Harris exhibition in the Walker art gallery in Liverpool.   Interestingly it was one of the busiest exhibitions I have ever been to, the World and his wife were there.  I enjoyed it and still have the catalogue . I remember him coming to the UK from Australia and his great popularity .  My husband sang with the Hong Kong Welsh in the late eighties and Harris being of Welsh origin used to come along to rehearsal night and sing with the choir.  He was always friendly and charming.i still have thoughts re the verdict and punishment.  As you say so many other artists had deviant pasts and secrets.  I don’t think that should take away from his art.  Free, bold ,colourful and larger than life...I like it. 

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

The interest for me in Rolf Harris over the years, was the fact that you often saw him actually making pictures, as opposed to some self appointed expert waffling about other people's work.  I don't think there was much of that until more recent times.  Bearing in mind how this work was produced on camera, he did pretty well. The other point is more problematical.  Art has its fair share of villains.  Can we freely admire their art?  Can we separate the two?  I'm not sure. There are two artists whose work I admire that come under this heading.  Gauguin, especially his Tahiti paintings, and Eric Gill for his sculpture and drawings. Gauguin was not a nice man, on Tahiti he took advantage of young women, married three of them, and infected all of them with disease.  A nasty piece of work.  But the art he made there is what art's all about for me.  Realistic but not realistic, there's nothing on Tahiti like Gauguin's paintings, it's a place of his imagination.  I find trying to say why you admire art is almost impossible. Then there's Eric Gill.  Sublime sculpture, wonderful drawings.  Again...realistic, but not... at the same time.  Art to admire, but an artist who makes your skin crawl. Should I admire the art?  Well...I do.   But never the artist.
We dropped in on a Rolf Harris/Jack Vettriano exhibition one afternoon in Bray, where Harris lived. For a while, he was very collectable and some of his work on show looked really good. There are great artists with unsavoury habits in all branches of the arts - Italian composer Gesualdo murdered his wife and her lover, Chuck Berry and (I believe) Jerry Lee Lewis had a thing for under-age girls, and as for Michael Jackson... so it's not just painters. I enjoyed the TV show of Rolf Harris's Queen portrait and thought the portrait was good. Nobody seems to know where it is now, though.

Edited
by Alan Green

It was in Liverpool about ten years ago,Alan.