Restoring oil painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi, i wonder if anyone could help, my wife has bought an origional oil painting by Alwyn Crawshaw. It arrived this morning and was supposed to be for a christmas present which i had no idea about. When she opened it she found that it wasent in the condition as described, it,s quite dirty and looks as though it,s been in a smoking envioroment. The painting is supposed to depict an autumn scene but the color must be very faded as it looks very lacklustre, also there is a couple of dimples in the canves. The frame has a couple of bits fallen of but that doesent bother me as it doesent look right in this one. She is uppset as it was going to be a suprise for me at exmas but due to the condition she thought that i had better have a look, she said that it was cheaper than what you would normaly exepect to pay. Is there anyway of cleaning it up without dameging the paint or would it be best taking to a framer, it looks as though it is a very early one of his works. If it needs to go to a framer would it be exspensive? [ think i know the answer to that ] She is going to get back to the seller to address these problems as it was described in good condition ? Many thanks Harry.