plein air

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Hi Raphael48...welcome to these pages...if you forgot the ball of string there is now no way out for you...Mel.
First of all you need to show your style of painting. This is the most important.Which medium you are using etc..Are looking for beginners or artists with already some knowledge etc...What will you be teaching : impressionism, realism, abstract ? etc...Subject : Landscape, seascape, flowers, portraits etc....Will it be a daily session or can students stay overnight etc..Cost another very important part for your students.Good luck.
Hi Raphael, I could give you an opinion from a student perspective, if you like. If I were attending art classes, I'd want to be sure to learn something new, so it would be good to be assessed at the outset, so I was put in class at my level. I'd also like clear explanation and handouts so I could refer back and remember. Otherwise, I'd lose track. Basically to have a teacher who cares and is attentive to my needs as a learner. All the stuff of good practice, you get taught in teacher training:) Also, good facilities, space and freedom to try lots of different art forms especially 3 D sculpture , and small class sizes, the ideal creating dream :) Couldn't afford it, mind, but I bet others want all this and can, so hope this is some help! All the best, and if you need dedicated teachers to work there... :-D
From previous comments on here I would say that the one thing students do NOT want is to have a teacher who takes over from them to "show them how it's done" and who allows them, with guidance,  to pursue their own style.
What strikes me is that students seem to be all as different in their learning needs, their ways of learning, if you like, as there are different personalities on Earth & it is a big challenge to look after them all, and that's even if they come from similar backgrounds. It'll make it interesting for you, though, Raphael. I think so, but then my experience is not vast. It's something to think about though especially if you're courses are aimed at adults- often quite different from children or young adults when they are learning.
Your comment about what people expect is rather worrying as it sounds as though you are unsure of what you are doing. If I may suggest that you book yourself on a couple of courses yourself and see what it is like from a students point of view. Do you have a solid business plan?
Have been on a few and and I dont like when the tutor takes the brush and finish my painting although there are others who only want to go home with a finished painting so I suppose you assess each persons needs first. If I am travelling to UK for a course I also want to explore the area and would rather not have every evening tied up with eating :), One of the best was a David Bellamy course which started off with teas on arrival on sunday and then short walk to do a sketch which he did first and this was a great ice-breaker. A good demo at start also good to put people at ease. good comfortable and quiet accomodation also would be important as courses are tiring. If it is a week long course a half day off can be good again to explore the area yourself and to get a break. Acess to a studio after the course finishes for the day is also good as I like to paint all day if I can when away - this is the norm in the Burren Painting centre in Co,Clare which is extremely well run and most people who go there use the studio after tea (only one formal arranged evening dinner here which is just about right I think) Hope this is of some use :-D
Now why didn't you mention the cider... where do I sign up (lol)
I have been on various art courses, both in the U K and Africa. I do not want to be a clone of the tutor, but would like someone to ask as and when. I have an amount of experience, and like to bounce ideas off with other artists and the tutor. Also I like to know something about the tutor , their own achievements, style etc... before I go. Use of a studio in the evening, good food , a comfy bed and not feel I am being ripped off. Then I would return and recomend. 
That is what I mean about not being expected to be a clone. I also think it is good to have a group critique, a bit like the gallery here. can be intimidating at first but you do get used to it, also can be very helpful as things are seen by others that maybe you missed, or even to explain why you did things a certain way and clarify it for yourself.  Just never take brush off someone and do it your way.  Anyone does that to me risks having their hand bitten off.  
You are quite right about the polite bit, we are so British.  But in that case there is no point in a critique.  If the person who leads it is good , they can be so helpful, and make it a positive session. If  ones feelings are so delcate dont do it. But handled properly it can be so helpful.  To me this is a great way to learn and if you have gone to a school to learn, this is all part and parcel.  Admittedly I would not say "That perspective is really bad" but point out the good things and then add that a way of doing the perspective was this, this and this. It is then up to the person whos pic it is to take the info or reject it. I think sometimes a leap of faith is good for all of us. On that note I shall put my jolly hockey sticks away.
Mel. like all good teachers praised loudly in public... And rowlocked quietly in private... The balance in comment in The POL Gallery is a fine one...perhaps better to say something in praise until you have a feel for that contributors art and they have gained some confidence as an artist...then perhaps later adding that note of critique at a later date...Some of us are confident enough in our own art to invite both comment & critique at the unveiling of a new addition to our galleries. Back to art classes....once you have figures out what brushes...brush-strokes...mediums...surfaces etc in an art-class etc. Then the rest is down to you and lots of regular practice...one day you will get it absolutely perfect but probably pegging out before you get to sign it... The sheep stay in the comfort zone of the flock aka art-class groupies... The goats depart early and develop their own style...it may or may not be a commercial success but art is more of a journey of personal discovery and personal development... So Raphael48...you pay the money you make your choices...an also ran artist or a unique artist? Then do you, or do you not, like people looking over your shoulder?
Showing page 1 of 2