Lead whites

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Had a look at the Winsor and Newton website yesterday, and it LOOKS as though they have brought back their Flake, Foundation and Cremnitz Whites, ie lead whites, which were unavailable for some time due to packaging/health and safety issues. May I take the liberty of encouraging people to go into their art shops and to their mail order suppliers and ask for these whites, so it can be established there is a demand for them? I know plenty of people get on quite well without them, others believe that the more we can do without toxic pigments the better, but there is a quality to lead whites which nothing else has - warmth, covering power, ease of application for example. Titanium White is excellent, but cold - and for me, much too oily: a real nuisance when you're painting on smoother surfaces. I know this is a hobby-horse of mine, but if anyone would like to join me for the ride......?