Drawing with crayon for oil paintings ?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I have prepared some 4mm MDF , with Gesso , rubbed down with 180 grit sandpaper , and upon which I have a wash of burnt sienna . For my drawing I could use some diluted paint with a small brush , but I would prefer something "dry" . If I use a soft pencil this might bleed into the paint (?)  and chalk I think is not suitable for small details , so my question is could I use a Faber Castell Polychromo crayon " pencil"  in " burnt umber 280  " or would the crayon react with the paint ? . Comments appreciated . Stephen
It depends what's in the pencil - crayons often have either wax or graphite, the former being a bad thing to put under oil paint, the latter having a tendency to show through, because oil paint becomes gradually more transparent over time. You'd be better off with charcoal - vine charcoal, establishing the shapes, blown or dusted off to leave just a faint impression, and or overpainted with a touch of Burnt Sienna or Terre Verte oil paint, both of which dry fast and don't present overpainting problems. I don't know what the composition of Polychromos pencils is - if you want to use them, I'd suggest you ask the manufacturer.  
Their website says they're "oil based" pencils: yes, but WHAT oil?  And what else? I would stick to charcoal; you suggest you don't want to lose detail, but your paint will cover most of the detail anyway: preliminary drawing on canvas or board for oil paint really needs to be basic, to establish proportions, otherwise you run the risk of colouring-in.
Robert - thanks , your point(s) duly noted .  Shame there's not such a thing as an "oil pen" for this purpose ( unless there is .....) . Stephen
I don't think there is - you never know, though!  That could be quite useful, couldn't it....?  As an alternative (perhaps not much of one..) how about a cocktail stick or matchstick, dipped in oil paint with a bit of Turpentine (or even Linseed Oil) to do your drawing?  Might work better than a pen dipped in paint, because they'd be a bit absorbent, whereas I can imagine a pen being very frustrating to try: the metal would just scrape through the paint.   
You could use a needle bottle. You can get them in packs quite cheaply. They are used by crafters for precision glueing, huge choice on Amazon. I have used them successfully with acrylic. Filling the bottle is the hard bit. I think if you mixed your oil paint with a medium that would get it fluid enough to fill the bottle it would work. Liquin fine detail would be my choice for this task but I know a lot of people hate it.  
I hate the smell of it - but it MIGHT work as you suggest; certainly worth a try if one's committed to this way of working: I'm not and wouldn't be, so am only guessing at what might work.