Bit of advice required

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've discovered that an oil painting of mine on a stretched canvas - a few years old now - got a bit dirty on the reverse of the cloth: it actually looks as though the oil has bled through to some extent, though I doubt that's what has actually happened. It probably doesn't matter, because after all no one's going to look at the back of the picture anyway but - any authority on these matters out there who could advise me whether I should just leave well alone, or perhaps prime the back of the canvas (or even varnish it?). My rationale for doing so is that it would seal the back of the canvas against further dust or whatever it was (possibly damp) that affected it; and my caution about doing it is that it might pull the canvas taut and thus crack the paint film, or possibly have the opposite effect and make it sag! The picture's around 10" by 10",