Alla Prima ...interrupted

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I wonder how many 'alla prima' paintings really are....  But added glazes are in another category.  
Robert Jones, NAPA on 03/03/2024 21:33:07
Paint is still wet whatever you do in alla prima. You can do it in days, or an hour, depends what paint you have, or additives. Slow painters still use it by name. I have slowed too as my work changes. I used to do them in only a few hours. I’ve never used glazes, nor would I at the moment. Just won’t work. My work is always wet until I finish though, no drying, hinders the process 
It’s all individual of course. 
Actually, maybe I’m now a wet on wet painter. Not thought about it! Didn’t know I was prima until a year ago. Just paint!
Alla prima is a gentle sport, your brush not disturbing  colour beneath. It’s how you can make alterations
Martin Shaw on 03/03/2024 21:40:10
Yes, in my Janet & John book for oils this was an exercise in blending, it was a good practice in brush/paint handling, something you rarely get instruction in.   Oh, for a decent oil painting class, fingers crossed this week for my place in the telephone queue for Brunel Uni Saturday class.

Edited
by Norrette Moore

Showing page 2 of 2