March 2021 Challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Following all the snow and ice, as we head in to March let's look forward to sunnier days ahead with a challenge to paint based on this poem by Robert Louis Stevenson: Great is the sun, and wide he goes Through empty heaven with repose; And in the blue and glowing days More thick than rain he showers his rays Though closer still the blinds we pull To keep the shady parlour cool, Yet he will find a chink or two To slip his golden fingers through. The dusty attic spider-clad He, through the keyhole, maketh glad; And through the broken edge of tiles Into the laddered hay-loft smiles. Meantime his golden face around He bares to all the garden ground, And sheds a warm and glittering look Among the ivy's inmost nook. Above the hills, along the blue, Round the bright air with footing true, To please the child, to paint the rose, The gardener of the World, he goes. Hope you enjoy this one!
Oh good - another poem!  This will give us plenty to think about!
(Sorry, won’t let me delete this.)

Edited
by Jenny Harris

My first attempt at this challenge - as Summer Sun was apparently written as one of a series of children’s poems, thought I’d do it as a child’s painting.  Cheated a bit by putting a warm filter on it as the colours were a little cooler than I’d intended.  Lots of options in this poem, so may try another.
I like this Jenny, I am going to try something today I think.
My attempt is of a young Victorian woman, daydreaming as the sun starts to fill the room and she knows the wealth of summer is on it's way.  

Edited
by Denise Cat

Lovely paintings ladies.Jenny I think yours look very art deco, a style I like a lot.a great take on a shady parlour Denise. For my take I took the children painting roses.
I decided to draw this spider today as Spider's Webs glisten in the sunlight although I added colour by dabbing some oil pastel with finger tip and added coloured charcoal, sepia so this is my contribution for the March challenge. "The dusty attic Spider-clad He through keyhole, maketh glad; " its incredible to see the spiders weaving their webs but even better when you spot the sheen of the sunlight beaming through the threads!  
Lovely paintings ladies.Jenny I think yours look very art deco, a style I like a lot.a great take on a shady parlour Denise. For my take I took the children painting roses.
Alan Beresford on 09/03/2021 12:29:28
A lovely child painting the rose petals and bright colours for Spring when the sun shines! 
I threw this together this afternoon...  "Though closer still the blinds we pull To keep the shady parlour cool, Yet he will find a chink or two To slip his golden fingers through.
Showing page 1 of 2