December 2023

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
The November challenges certainly warmed up the forum nicely! We haven't had a poem for inspiration for a while so how about this one by Mary Elizabeth (McGrath) Blake for December? I look forward to seeing what you all make of it. Chill the night wind moans and sighs, On the sward the stubble dies; Slow across the meadows rank Float the cloud-rifts grim and dank; On the hill-side, bare and brown, Twilight shadows gather down,— 'Tis December. Stark and gaunt the naked trees Wrestle with the wrestling breeze, While beneath, at every breath, Dead leaves hold a dance of death; But the pine-trees' sighing grace Greenly decks the barren place, In December. Chirp of bird nor hum of bee Breaks across the barren lea; Only silence, cold and drear, Nestles closely far and near, While in cloak of russet gray, Nature hides her bloom away With December. Yet we know that, sleeping sound, Life is waiting underground; Till beneath his April skies God shall bid it once more rise, Warmth and light and beauty rest Hushed and calm, upon the breast Of December. So, though sometimes winter skies Hide the summer from our eyes, Taking from its old time place Some dear form of love and grace, We can wait, content to bear Barren fields and frosted air, Through December. We can wait, till some sweet dawn Finds the shadows backward drawn, And beneath its rosy light Maytime flushes, warm and bright, Bring again the bloom that fled When the earth lay cold and dead In December.
If you want to get the best out of December as a painter, the best advice is to get up early -almost pitch-black outside, and it's not quite 5pm yet.  When the sun is out, catching the few remaining leaves on the nearly-bare trees - that's what we want!   All I need to do now is struggle out of a warm bed in the morning... 
This was not planned, but I just completed this image. I do believe it fits the poem. Last time I was berated for not being inspired by the provided work. This time seems serendipitous.
Whoah! That is gorgeous Skylar!
Yup you have been inspired Skylar...I'm having a wee think.   What sort of bird is it ! I know your Robins are quite different from ours.  Robert  I have acquired nagging hens who won't let me turn over.   They are demanding attention at first light...not one of my best acquisitions I reckon it's thirty quid an egg. 
An absolutely brilliant bird Skylar. That bright red stands out beautifully against the wintry background.
If you want to get the best out of December as a painter, the best advice is to get up early -almost pitch-black outside, and it's not quite 5pm yet.  When the sun is out, catching the few remaining leaves on the nearly-bare trees - that's what we want!   All I need to do now is struggle out of a warm bed in the morning... 
Robert Jones, NAPA on 29/11/2023 16:56:54
I'm looking forward to seeing this great sounding painting Robert, well worth struggling out of bed for!
I did this charcoal sketch from the balcony of a lodge I was staying in, earlier on in the week. The snow had just fallen.
That’s lovely Denise. Hope you kept warm!
I was well wrapped up Tessa but couldn't draw for long outside with the constant worry of my fingers having Raynauds but I managed a few plein air sketches.
Good for you Denise. 👍🏻hope you enjoyed your break.
Showing page 1 of 2