Collage experiment...C1/23

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I was invited to join a group to create Collages and since that six week introductory course I feel enthused to launch out in some new themes! I started an underpainting last week on painting trees and today decided to create a surface on paper with triangular cut-outs so this is how it turned out. I decided to add three birds and have christened it 'Bird Song'. Not sure whether to elaborate more will let it rest for the time being and maybe build upon the foreground to bring about near and far concept.... The birds appear to be nesting so might create some fabric circles ......
Looking good, so far, Angela. I've been looking at collage work on yt, as a piece of artwork and as a coverage for re/up-cycling. I haven't been tempted, yet, but still something to consider.
Thankyou Carol, Yes, Yes, it is pretty good and since our Covid restrictions I was invited to participate at our local hub in creating various collages. We did cut out from magazines and our Art tutor showed us how to thread strips of paper like a loom by weaving different strips of magazine lengths under and over to form a coloured collage! It's versatile in so many ways and recycled material does assist with conservation and economical too! I enjoy craft work too but always seem to gravitate into Art form as like drawing and painting these days. Thankyou for your spontaneous feedback and encouragement. Hope you enjoy collage work too, it's fascinating as it forms interesting features and stimulates too!  Regards Angela Harrison 
The weaving part sounds very interesting, I will be trying this. You have passed on your love of the 'hub creation' :) Thanks.
I don't know much about collage, but this is interesting. I like the juxtaposition of shapes and patterns. Please post the finished piece!
Great job Angela, I really like it.
I've had a try at the paper weaving. Cut up an old practice paper, the first attempt was about 1cm, strips, so, made them bigger. The possibilities with this method can, I'm sure, give many and varied outcomes. I'll mod-podge this and see if it can be used in the future. Front-   Back-
This paper weaving looks fabulous! Yes, really feel inspired to try it out sometime! Collages are fascinating and interesting to work around a still-life drawing or painting ...takes us out into juxtaposition too, loved that concept when I was at Art College and it stuck in mind too! Wishing you all the best for the New Year, and lots of inspiration too! 
This paper weaving looks fabulous! Yes, really feel inspired to try it out sometime! Collages are fascinating and interesting to work around a still-life drawing or painting ...takes us out into juxtaposition too, loved that concept when I was at Art College and it stuck in mind too! Wishing you all the best for the New Year, and lots of inspiration too! 
Angela Harrison on 03/02/2024 21:25:30
I started a design with three different colours and sketched tiny triangles to form a mosaic pattern am thinking of making this the central image then from scraps of paper glue on the triangular pieces around the central image...it's work in progress so shall start with some watercolour triangles and see how they fit!