Cobalt

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Apparently this element is now in high demand for the production of rechargeable batteries for electric cars. Not that I am panic buying Cobalt Blue in pure form (PB28) while I can still afford it...😉 Interesting trivia, there is an area in Canada of unmined minerals...a town called Cobalt.
I suspect supplies of Cobalt Blue (PB28 Cobalt Aluminate, Blue Spinel) will not be too badly hit by the battery business.  Most Cobalt is produced as a by-product of Nickel and Copper mining.  After that the main ores are combinations with arsenic or arsenic and iron, often as some form of oxide but not  PB28, Co(2)Al(2)O(4), a sort of cobalt aluminium oxide.  Aluminium is made principally from Bauxite, which is a mainly aluminium tri-hydroxide, so PB28 is probably safe from the aluminium industry too
Your reassurance, Tony, is most welcome - I'm a great fan of well-made Cobalt Blue, in all media.  Got to be the real thing, though, and not some mix of pthalo blue with a bit of white.  PB28 every time - though even that can vary, as can the related Cerulean Blue: vary in strength, I mean; try the Daler Rowney Coeruleum (which is Cerulean) and then the Rembrandt Cerulean, ditto with the Cobalt Blues - while I prefer the Rembrandt versions, I wouldn't decry the Daler Rowneys ... (a great company, with a rotten PR department, but that's something else again).