Who is an artist you admire and why ?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
If we are talking living artists, for landscapes I like Brian Ryder because I admire his skies and depiction of the Norfolk coast and Fred Cuming for his atmospheric loose style, for interior scenes it is difficult not to admire Ken Howard. On here I see some good stuff from Haidee-Jo and Alan Bickley, along with others!
Kyffin Williams had a wonderful way of painting light in a landscape, I saw an exhibition at Cyfartha Castle a few years ago. You hear so many great stories about the man, he was so generous. I haven't seen work by Stephanie Law, that really appeals to me. I've always like the work of Roland Hilder. His tonal contrasts, I find, catches the eye. I found one of his prints at a car boot, years ago, and it's still on the wall.(The farm pond)
To be honest, of those gazillions of living artists I could mention, I really only have a liking for Banksy. Maybe it's the "street" aspect of his stuff. Give me an Impressionist any time, especially Sisley and Pisarro. I like Salvador Dali too.
I admire many artists, both living and dead. Most of whom have already been mentioned so I won't list them again. However for this discussion I decided to select a living Christchurch artist whose work I like very much. Min Kim came to ChCh from South Korea, where she trained as an artist. She paints in oils and watercolour and owns one of our local galleries. I am posting her painting of one of our native birds, the huia.

Edited
by SandraKennedy

I can't say I "like" Dali. I think at some early point of his career he consciously took a decision to stop being an artist. It's a great pity. However, this drawing of his father to me appears the best I've seen. Do  we see a middle aged man? Yes. But we also see a young Mediterranean man even before Salvador came into existence. Achieved through superb laconic and clear technique  imbued with impeccable taste. Appears so clear and simple. Appears...        

Edited
by Dmitry Shaklanoff-von Seipt

Showing page 2 of 2