Van Gogh in Arles

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Look how Gaugin treated his own wife and children! Then there were the very young girls on the islands...............not a nice man. Personally I don't think he was much of a painter either but that's another can of worms! I'll have a look at that book Sarah, thanks. If you haven't read the Murphy book I really recommend it, much of it is about the same period.
Thanks Peter, will look it up!
Gauguin WAS a good painter - you might not like his hard-edged, highly coloured Tahitian work, but he was capable of more conventional techniques.   As a human being, he was a horror.... and probably the last "friend" poor van Gogh needed in his life. These days, Gauguin would be lucky to avoid prison - maybe if he'd gone there he wouldn't have contracted the syphilis that helped to do him in...
'The Yellow House' has arrived, another cracking read - many thanks Sarah.
Brilliant, Peter! Really pleased you like it! Have got myself a copy of the Bernadette Murphy book so thanks to you too. It's on my 'to read' pile!!
Good, you'll enjoy it Sarah.
I've just finished reading 'The Yellow House' and what strikes me most forcibly is that Gaugin comes across as a much more sympathetic character than I'd expected. Even more surprisingly his mother lived in St Cloud which is where my sister lives now! I'll read it again now, more slowly.
Well done Peter, I must re read it myself soon!
Showing page 2 of 2