TV TODAY today Saturday

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
WHY BEAUTY MATTERS - at 9pm Poetry, art and music were once valued simply for their beauty. But, since the 20th century art has been increasingly designed to disturb, or break taboos, rather than impress us with its beauty. Originality however achieved, is what wins acclaim. So says writer and philosopher Roger Scruton in this deliciously provocative documentary, showing as part of the Modern Beauty season and providing a little welcome cerebral exercise amid Saturday night's entertainment feast. Artists of the past used beauty as an antidote to the chaos of human existence; today, we seem to think art should reflect the ugliness of life. Beauty and good taste are no longer sufficiently valued, leaving us surrounded by ugliness and alienation even architecture has become soulless and sterile. "I think we are losing beauty" says Scruton and there a danger that with it, we will lose the meaning of life" So why, je asks, are critics of empty modern art so afraid to point out that the emperor has no clothes ? -------------------- PS - I have not written this, I have copied the commen from the Mail. Please be kind to me :-S