Success as an artist?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Another Theme for discussion... reasoned debate...one that could be a simple addition to Sheep or Goats? Have you ever taken your time to define what your success in your art-world would be? There is perhaps a spectrum of what artists want from their art.  Some artists could not care less about ever showing their art. Some want to make enough money from their art so they can give-up their day job and make their mark. Other artists may have an independent source of income, money is not an important factor in their definition of success. They perhaps want recognition from their peers, or critics and so on. To perhaps have their artworks in a gallery somewhere. Some want just to be written about. It is perhaps true that we all want something on this spectrum and not always to be in the same place on it. So perhaps its time to think about what it is that you want for your art?  Perhaps some of us have underinflated opinions of ourselves as artists and our artworks? Please let's not get personal here... Perhaps some of us have overinflated opinions of ourselves as artists and our artworks? Please let's not get personal here... Artists seldom, if ever, make much effort to market themselves or promote their artworks and the creativity that built it. Its completely against their nature. They can’t bring themselves to ask for it either. Some can’t recognize that it even exists for them. An artist trying to define success for themselves may want to have shows, reviews, recognition and even sales, but in reality, success for most artists already exists in the mere fact that they have acknowledged that they are artists with the ability to create original artworks. Perhaps the next time sitting around in your studio depressing yourself thinking that no one will ever see your artworks or experience them, let alone buy your artwork, the question: why am I doing this? The answer is: I am an artist. I'm one of the luckiest people alive.