Sort touch

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
A lot of people (me included) have card payment machines. Mine charges 1.6% per transaction and no other fees. (So £1.60 in £100). Initial outlay for the unit was about £25-£30. I use it a lot to take payments for my gardening jobs, but I did initially buy it to use at art and craft fairs, and it has made a big difference in that respect. Our art group also has one now.
That seems very reasonable Helen. Last time I looked they had a monthly fee. Do you have to use your mobile for the signal? 
I have one too (from Sumup). No monthly fees, just a flat rate of 1.6%. Yes, you use a mobile for the connection. Very easy to use. You end up with another bank account that you probably don't want, but any sales can be transferring out of the account within a day or so. Loads of fellow artists have them nowadays, at least where I am.
Unfortunately our club can't get a signal! We're on the coast in an area where a mobile signal is difficult. It's becoming a problem as people don't carry cash....we often get repeat visitors to our exhibitions so, although we have lost the odd sale, we generally do fairly well. I think it will become more problematic though.
We only have a staffed exhibition for a short time each year, it wouldn't be worth us investing in one and being in the town centre there are plenty of ATM's close by.  We accept bank transfers as well which people do for their phones. 
The only real investment is the 40 quid or so it costs for the card reader, and if that results in a single sale that wouldn't otherwise have been made you could argue it is worth it. 2/3rds of my sales come from people expecting to be able to use cards. The other potential benefit of these things is that by entering your inventory into the system (which you would want to do anyway because you'd want to it keep a record of sales, esp. if it was shared across the club), you also get a fully-operational website without doing any more work (complete with web address) for free ie people can buy your stuff online.

Edited
by Martin Cooke

We've already got a website and a Facebook group which I run. Unfortunately our treasurer is in his mid 80's and doesn't even use e-mail! 
Showing page 2 of 2