Reproducing a painting as a print before photography.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
It's always puzzled me and I'm still none the wiser after all these years; how did they reproduce a coloured print of a painting before colour photography existed? I was looking at some 1930's railway posters on Llangollen station on Saturday and the reproductions clearly show the brush strokes etc of the original painting. So what was the process? How did they get from a single painting to something that could be turned out in multiples? I presume they printed each colour separately but beyond that I haven't a clue and how did that printing reproduce all the subtlety of the original? Some one out there must know....it's your chance to shine!
I looked up the early Canadian pacific posters, which I've liked ever since I visited Lake Louise 20 odd years ago. This was my best result :- https://www.ornamentum.ca/post/canadian-pacific-railway-posters-the-making-of-canada-s-landscape-image and then what is Serigraph printing https://cedarhilllonghouse.ca/blogs/what-is-serigraph-printing/  Hope it's what you're after. 
In lithographic printing, the design is drawn in waxy crayon onto a smooth surface, typically limestone blocks (later metal plates) which are then doused with water and covered with an oil-based ink. The waxy drawn areas repel the water and soak up the ink, before being transferred to the paper. Just looked this up Peter and copied and pasted it.  I thought I was Lithograph , my sister in law at one stage in her life printed stuff like this painstaking but beautiful. Hope you enjoyed the choo choo  train  in Llangollen.... quite close to me.
I can appreciate that the design is copied but how to do they reproduce exactly the brush strokes etc of the original painting? The Victorians were doing that way before the Canadian studio opened in 1932.
If they are lithographs the process involves marks into a wax surface.the colour added and then printed one at a time.   Therefor any marks eg brush marks will appear on each print. I think!. I am not an expert and my sister in law isn't around to ask..   I have done screen printing in the dim and distant past but a whole different process.... any more thoughts. Anyone ? 
They were doing stuff like this: It's not just blocks of colour like the 1930's posters.  I understand the printing process, it's how they got from the painting to there that I'm in the dark about.
Dunno....Peter...like you I am o in the dark.  Though looking at both of these picture I imagine a camera was used ....Curiosier and curiouser . Maybe taken in black and white then hand coloured ?  I do know that wa# done professionally.

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

Maybe. We're not getting a rush of information Sylvia!
Dead horses spring to mind.